Sunday, August 31, 2008

Evacuation-Day 3

I had a very emotional day today. All three of us were able to sleep late and have a relaxed morning. However, the gravity of everything I had done by myself began to sink in. As we watched the news concerning Gustav, we realized the great possibility of our experiencing a repeat of Katrina. Granted, we did not directly experience Katrina, but we were close enough to understand the devastation. We have also been very aware of the continuing affects of that storm. The memory of waking up and seeing the areas we knew so well completely covered in water was enough to cause me to be pretty depressed today.

Page and I had already planned to do a little shopping today. We have a dress blues formal to go to on Wednesday and I had nothing to wear. He very willingly took Karis and I to the mall where we spent several hours walking around and trying on dresses, shoes, and jewelry. We had a late lunch of chinese and explored the mall here in Columbia. The several hours spent shopping served to take my mind off the thoughts of the storm for a little while. I found a dress and accessories with no problem. Page didn't even start complaining, so I deemed the trip successful.

When we got back to the hotel, Karis was about ready to go to bed for the night. Dad gave her a bath and put her to bed while I went to the grocery store for needed groceries. After I got back, Page and I ended the night by watching a movie on TV. 

We have had many people calling to check on us and wanting to know our plans. As of right now our plans are to remain in Columbia until Friday. We are planning to return to New Orleans next weekend. Depending on what the storm does, we may have to change our plans. We will definitely keep everyone updated.

2 comments:

The Hudgins said...

ashley,
praying for you guys and all of new orleans. we're riding out gustav in GA with family...i had jaxon on the 27th in hammond so we evacuated with a 3 day old. this is all too crazy and katrina like. i got ya'lls blog link off of chris and katies. know we're praying for you guys,
love-
asah and tara hudgins

Travis and Stephanie said...

Hey!
I found your blog on Chris and Katies blog, as well. Travis and I are keeping up with Gustav (my parents live in Waveland- but are just outside of Columbia right now too) so we can keep them updated. We are praying for you guys and all of our friends down in New Orleans. We keep remembering dealing with Katrina and can't imagine how tough it is for our friends who have to deal with Gustav just a few years later. I am glad to know you are safe and if you need another road trip, the Bakers and Wrights would love for you all to come to Wake Forest. I am due any day now and wish Sam would hurry up and get here- HA! Tell Page Hey and we love you guys!
Steph

Oh, and we have a blog where you can keep up with us if you like...travisandstephanie.wordpress.com