Friday, September 28, 2007

Karis Talking

I taped this a few days ago. Karis has a tendency to get loud right before she gets fussy and ready for bed. This morning was no exception. I thought I would get her on tape and let everyone hear her. Hope you enjoy.


She has started doing some new things. As you saw in the video she enjoys spitting and screaming. She also enjoys playing with toys while laying on her stomach. She is rolling over from her back to stomach and stomach to back. When she wakes up in the mornings (if she has had enough sleep) she will lay in her bed and talk to her hands. I walked in one morning and she was laying with her head in the corner, on hand was hanging out the front of the crib and the other was hanging out of the side of the crib. She was facing the hand at the front of the crib and she was waving to her self and studying her hands.

She went this week to the doctor for her 4 month check-up (even though today she is five months old). She weighs a hefty 16 lbs and is only 25 inches long. The doctor said it was nothing to worry about, but that she was in the 90th percentile range for her weight. We are so proud!!! We are saying that she needs to grow into all those rolls. She is a very healthy baby.

She is also extremely happy. During her awake times she laughs and plays, talks and sings. She likes to read with me while we read her books. She will make what I call the "uhhhhh" noise in different pitches while we read. She sometimes does this while we are singing too and it is absolutely precious. The first time she did it I cried because I realized, in her own little way, she was singing with me. I kind of wonder if that is how God feels (in a small way) when we sing to Him. He must have this amazing voice which makes our voices seem like "uhhhh" noises to Him. It's just a thought. All I do know is that it touched my heart in a way that nothing else has.

Okay, this posting has gone on long enough. Hope you enjoy the update on our munchkin.

2 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

Sooo sweet! Enjoy it- you will almost not remember these "immobile" days a year from now!
With the hair- I would start ASAP! I am betting the dry scalp will get better really quickly once you start all the moisturizing products like the ones I got. I have not ever had that with Elena, but I have always used a detangler every day and washed 1-3 times a week. I think the detangler maybe helped moisturize her scalp because I read that is very common- their scalp and hair both are just so dry and brittle. Which is why it won't grow out (it will just keep breaking off) unless a lot of effort is put into taking car of it. The other tip I got was to either wrap their head with one of those ghetto satin cap-wraps- lol, Elena would never leave that on!- or have them sleep on a satin pillowcase. This keeps them from rubbing the head on the cotton sheet, etc and breaking their hair. I am not doing either as Elena doesn't use a pillow. But I do know that happens to her because the back and sides of her hair are only maybe 1-2 inches long pulled straight, and the top is like 6-8 inches long pulled straight. So it is like the opposite of a mullet right now- lol.
Anyway, I would also trim the ends every 2-3 months. That will get the dead off and let it grow because it won't break so easily.
The site I got most info from was a forum for adoptive parents of biracial kids. I will try to find it again...
C-ya!
Jen

Unknown said...

Ashley,
Karis IS precious. Now you can see why I was perfectly happy staying home with Megan instead of working. I was mesmerized by her and sat there with my developmental book out watching her own progress unfold. I am not so sure that it will as fun for me to sit with my Adolescent book out and watch Megan progress through that. We'll see.
Shannon