Monday, February 1, 2010

Sleeping Issues: Day 26

Overall, or family's transition to Page being gone has been smooth. Last year when Page was gone for several months, Karis acted out and expressed anger in other ways. This time, she has not had the anger, but she is having trouble sleeping by herself.

For the first few nights, Karis would wake up around 1:30 am crying out until I came in to reassure her. This would continue almost every hour. This problem only lasted a few nights....thank goodness. She quickly moved to wanting to come sleep with me. She would start out in her bed, but around 1:30 am she would wake up and either climb in bed with me or call me to come get her.

I soon gave her permission to come to sleep with me if she woke up in the middle of the night and could not go back to sleep. After I gave her permission, she quit wanting to sleep with me. I thought we were through the sleeping woes until I walked in the girls room one night to check on them. This is what I found.....
Karis is sleeping on the floor in front of the gate blocking their door. I put the gate up until I go to bed so that she does not get up and play in the bathroom or my room (which she has a tendency to do when she "can't sleep.")

A few days later I walked in the room and could not find Karis anywhere. She was not in her bed. She was not in the floor. Nor was she in my room. I finally went back in their room and looked in the bed with Thia. There they both were, curled up next to one another.
She has climbed in Thia's bed almost every night since then. On most nights Thia yells at her and I have to come get Karis out. However, somehow Karis climbs back into the crib after Thia is asleep and falls asleep next to her. I fought this for about a week and then realized... they are both sleeping well and I am getting a full nights sleep. Why am I fighting it?

2 comments:

Beth Celestin said...

Ashley, that picture of the 2 girls sleeping together is precious! Sisters forever! =) We pray for you guys daily and look forward to a visit in the near future. In the meantime, I love your blog updates!

Katie Nalls said...

That sister picture is TOO ADORABLE. I LOVE IT! Oh, I just want to hug them (of course, b/c they aren't causing me to lose sleep, right?!). Love you! Hang in there!