Saturday, November 20, 2010

We Are Home Owners!!

The keys to our new home!!!
How Exciting!

After 3 and a half hours of signing a HUGE stack of documents for myself and for Page and waiting on USAA to give permission to release the money, the little house on Telemachus officially became ours yesterday afternoon.

God has a sense of humor. He decided that since I had a captive audience for over 3 hours that He wanted me to share the gospel with them. I was able to share our family testimony of why we were moving into mid-city (the church plant) as well as a little of our adoption story. The part of our story that the group seemed to be the most interested in was how I have handled this house buying process by myself. The door flew wide open for me to share how God divinely led me to our real estate agent who "just happened" to meet James, the then owner of the Telemachus house. I then begin to explain how I was looking for a number of specific things in a house outside of the house itself due to the fact that we were going to be planting a church. Tammy, our real estate agent, told me when we first started looking that finding what I was looking for would be really hard. However, this house had almost everything I was looking for we got it for less than we were expecting to spend. When the house was appraised, it was appraised for $10,000 more than what we paid for it and with a VA hospital being built in the area, the market will only go up. Didn't God use His money wisely? (All you Harbor folks will appreciate that!)

We should not have been closing yesterday. The city has still not gotten their act together and sources close to the situation say that the situation might not be fixed until after Mardi Gras. Because we are only the 3rd owners of this house built in 1905, there was not much information to look up. The title company already had the information when they went through the buying process for James. Because we used the same title company to close, we were granted permission to go ahead with our closing. God worked this out as well.

After the conversation, the insurance agent told me that she was really interested in coming to our church meetings to find out more about it. From our conversation, she seemed to be interested in finding the Person that has given me the strength to make it through this year and be able to buy a house on top of it. I am not sure what I am more excited about....the house being ours or the opportunities to share that the Lord allowed me to have yesterday.

I am headed to Tifton next week to spend some time with my family over Thanksgiving. The girls and I will come back and move into the house the first week of December. Page will be home in 4 weeks!!!

Hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! May the Lord pour out many, many blessings on you and your families!!

1 comment:

JulieLittleton said...

Oh Ashley, this is all so wonderful! And you know I love old houses! You should see our old house--they redid the roof and put a gorgeous iron fence around the property. Anyway, so excited about your Thanksgiving, move, and the return of your beloved so soon!!! I am soooooo happy for you! Love you!