Friday, June 8, 2007

Going Home

Karis and I have spent the last week in Tifton, GA. For those of you who do not know where it is, think way down south. A place where the temperature stays around 100 and the gnats are plentiful. A place that is completely flat and the landscape is rows and rows of cotton, tobacco, and peaches (and maybe a few peanuts here and there). A place that hales sweet tea as its drink of choice and bar-b-que as a staple.

My parents have called Tifton home for well over 10 years. It is the place I grew up and graduated from high school. Karis has spent the last week getting to know her family a little better. She spent a great deal of time with her 2 year old cousin Anyston who thinks that Karis is her baby. She wanted to "hold the baby" most of the time and loved kissing Cousin Karis. We also spent time with her Great Grandma and BigPa and Mema as well as her 3 week old baby cousin Jason and his family. We had a wonderful time.

We head back tomorrow on the 6 hour trip that will probably take 8 or more. It is amazing how much more time it takes when you are traveling with an infant. If you think about it, please keep us in your prayers.

Daddy (Page) has been at annual training for the past week, but is on leave for Saturday and Sunday. We are very excited about seeing him. He will go back on Sunday afternoon for his second week.

God is so good about slowing me down. Karis has brought many joys and lessons into my life. One of the lessons she is teaching me is that I need to slow down and enjoy the ride. If I try to hurry I will miss her smile or coo or cute facial expression. I have found that my relationship with God is like that many times. He is not so much interested in me getting to the destination as He is me slowing down and learning what He is teaching me on the way. This week I have spent much time with people I have not had a chance to ever sit down and talk with for an extended length of time. If Karis had not been taking a nap or needed feeding, I probably would not have taken the time to sit and talk with these individuals in the way I needed too. Isn't it just like God to use a baby to teach me a lesson. I have a feeling I am in for many more of those lessons through this child. Oh may my prayer always be as Samuel's was, "Speak Lord, Your servant is listening." I hope your's is the same.

1 comment:

David and Joy said...

Corgratulation! fantastic news. you two are going to be great parents (i'm sure you are already)