Thursday, June 21, 2007

Life in Limbo

Have any of you ever felt like you were living in between two or more places? Have you ever felt like you have finished your life in one place and you want to begin you life in another, yet you are still stuck in the first place? I am in this position at this moment. Page and I call it limbo, living in two different places. Your body is in one place, but your mind is in another place.

For those of you who do not know, Page, Karis and I are moving back to New Orleans this coming week. Page is taking a position at New Orleans Seminary as a Professor of Theology and Islamic Studies. I am taking a position as Mommy. We will both finish our PhD's in October and graduate in December.

I do not have to pack up anything in my house because the wonderful moving company is doing that for me. I look around this living room and thank God that I do not have to pack any of it. I do, however, get the blessing of traveling with my 2 month old down to New Orleans. I am very fortunate to have my mother traveling with me for at least half of the trip. My car will be packed to the gills with baby stuff. How do they acquire so much stuff? It is amazing to me that they need all this stuff, but all the "experts" tell you they do, so here we are.

So, I leave Sunday to travel to AL and then on to NOLA on Monday. I feel as though I have been living in NOLA for the past few weeks. My mind has been traveling down there quite often. I wonder how my life will be different from the last time we lived there. I also want my life, in a way, to have some of the same aspects of life that I remember so fondly from before. I wonder if the whole situation will be similar to seeing friends that I have not seen in a while. I get a little nervous everytime I spend time with a friend I have not seen in a while. Will she be the same as I remember her? Will we get along as well as we did before? Have we both changed so much that we do not have anything in common? I go through this litany of questions over and over in my mind making the slight nervousness I had before turn into full blown worry. Then I meet her at the airport and we begin a conversation that lasts the entire time she is here. There is no awkwardness nor is there any pretension. Our friendship is the same, but we are in a different time and a different place. I have a feeling that my relationship with NOLA will be the same. We are old friends. We may have some bumps in the road, but with the Lord's help we will get through whatever hurdles (or potholes) are before us.

New Orleans, Here we come!

3 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

Oh- the potholes! I am sure you will get that same "big family" feeling we all had when we lived there the first time. It truly was such a special time in all our lives- but I have to say that I am glad it is you guys and not us! :)

Cliff Huckabee said...

We look forward to seeing you this weekend. I am giving this blogging stuff a try!!

Jackson said...

Congrats on going back to New Orleans! What a sweet place it is in all of our hearts!! Remembering when you and Jennifer watched Jackson for me when he was sooo little while I finished up school. You will always have a special place in my heart!