Thursday, January 14, 2010

Keeping Busy: Day 7

Wednesdays and Thursdays are probably our busiest days of the week. Our routine is to go to the commissary (or grocery store on a military base) every Wednesday morning. Most of the employees in the commissary know our faces if not our names by now. The girls are a big hit. It is not anything for them to come home with DumDums or other treats from our "Friends" at the store. Wednesday afternoons are when I do my counseling sessions. I have a sweet teenager named Ashley who comes and watches the girls for me during that time. Karis comment about Ashley was, "Mommy, Mommy....my babysitter has the same name as you!" She also said she had a good time.

I sing on the praise team at our church (Harbor Commumity a.k.a Lakeview - Sojourn) on Sundays. We have practice on Wednesday nights. So I come home from counseling to put the girls to bed. Our music minister's wife, Chelsi, comes to sit at the house with the girls while I go to practice. Our church community has really stepped up the challenge of helping me out and I am so grateful to them as well as to the Lord for supplying my needs.

Thursdays are also pretty busy for us. I have a Bible study I attend at Redeemer Presbyterian every Thursday morning. I am so blessed with this community of ladies who pray for me and love on me and my kids as though I belonged to their church community. They challenge me to grow spiritually and I am grateful for their fellowship.

After Bible study we come back to the seminary for Mrs. Lee's Red Beans and Rice. Karis loves them and I enjoy not having to cook a big meal on Thursday nights. We are usually still very full from lunch so a large dinner is not necessary.

Tonight we had the Student Life Fair at the Hardin Student Center. Karis loved it because she was having chocolate, king cake, and cookies shoved in her face. What kid wouldn't like it? I like it because they have churches and restaurants from the neighborhood who bring food. I am talking really good food cooked by native New Orleanians (Gumbo, Jambalaya, Po-Boys, and Corn Bisque). It was so good! I am posting a picture of Karis's face after eating one of the many cookies people handed her without me looking. As I type she is upstairs keeping Thia awake because the sugar has not gotten out of her system.


I am also posting a few pics of Thia who has started drinking whole milk out of a bottle. I am trying to wean her off the bottle so I am beginning of replacing the formula with milk. She takes water out of a sippy cup without a problem, but she has problems with the milk. Maybe we can transition her in a few days.

Karis has been watching Sesame Street every few days and is really taken with Super Grover. She has decided that she is Super Karis and put the kapalana headband around her neck as a cape and runs around the house saying "Super Karis!" Here is a picture of her right before she took off again.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Loved the pictures. Precious. So glad to read that you are singing on the praise team, an opportunity to use your gift. :) Let me know when you need a getaway to Hattiesburg. Love you my friend.