Friday, January 8, 2010

Page's Deployment: Day 1


I have been planning for this day for over a year. We have been making lists of all the jobs we need to complete, activities we want to do, and things we need to get before Page leaves. We had most of those things completed before Christmas. Since the week after Christmas we have been spending as much time together as a family and basically waiting on this day to get here.

I told Page that this waiting was different than anything I have experienced before. Part of me did not want this day to get here. Another part of me wanted the day over with so that I could start the countdown to his return. Now that the day is here I am a bit relieved in a way. The dreaded day has not been a hard as I thought it would be. I have allowed myself to grieve for the past few weeks, so today was not filled with a bunch of pint up emotions. I am sad. I am sad because my best friend is not longer right here with me on a day in day out basis. I am sad because my girls will miss their Daddy. I am sad when Karis tries to explain to her friends that her Daddy will be gone for "many, many days". Nothing can really take away the sadness, but the sadness is not overwhelming. I have a confidence that God is in control and that He is going to take care of me in new ways.

We have tried to keep busy today. A friend of mine (Rebecca Smith) and I took our girls to the Monkey Room which is an indoor room filled with a bunch of things to climb on a number of slides to come down on. Karis and Rebecca's daughter, Kaylee, had a blast. They climbed up the three story apparatus and either slid down, rolled down, or climbed back down usually squealing with glee. Thia is still a bit too little for this room, but she enjoyed watching the other kids while eating graham crackers.
Tonight I am going to dinner with Rebecca and her husband, Phil. We are going to eat Mexican food at the best Mexican restaurant in town. After the girls are in bed, I may watch a movie and then head to bed myself. I know that the nights will be worse than the days. My plan is to create a routine as quickly as possible and stick to it.

I am very excited that my college roommate, Ginger, will be coming into town tomorrow. She will be here through the beginning of next week. She and her darling baby girl, Charlotte, will be a great distraction for both myself and my girls.

I am very aware of the many prayers being lifted up for me and my family. I am very grateful for them. God has already answered a number of our prayers. I am excited to see how he continues to creatively meet our needs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lifting all of you up today and everyday to come! Has that cleaning angel shown up yet? As Arron told Page, we're in this with you, so please let us know how we can be praying specifically! Love you, The Hightowers

Katie Nalls said...

Thanks for posting, Ashley. We have been praying and are happy to hear how you are doing. So glad you could hang out with the Smiths and that Ginger is coming! We love you guys!
Katie

Unknown said...

Ashley, I know the feelings you are having. When your Mom was 15 months old and your Uncle Richard was 2 1/2 years old your Grandfather Scarborough was in the military and was sent to Korea. This was after the time of the Korean war. There were some dangers, but not like exists in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We chose for me, your mom and Uncle Richard to stay with my mother some of the time, Jimpsie some of the time and your Grandfather's father's family some of the time. I also went home with my sister who lived in Waukegan, Ill. at the time and met your Grandfather at OHare airport when he returned and drove south with him for him to report into Fort Jackson for discharge. He was gone about 15 months.

I will be praying for you, Page, Karis and Thia.

I love you all,
MeMa

Lisathemom said...

Praying for you, Ashley! Glad that your friend is there with you, and you're enjoying fun times together.